Luisium Castle and Park

The princess's retreat

The charming Luisium Castle in the Dessau district of Waldersee with its extensive garden was the retreat for the art-loving princely wife Louise Henriette Wilhelmine.

The park of the later Luisium was commissioned by Prince Dietrich of Anhalt in the 1750s. On a hill, Prince Franz then had the small country house, which was called “Luisium” from 1780 as well as the park, built from 1774 to 1778 as a private residence for Louise. Completely in its delicacy and harmonious design, it is one of the most important buildings by the architect Friedrich Wilhelm von Erdmannsdorff. The cubic, simply designed building with two floors and a mezzanine is decided by a pyramid roof. From this protrudes a belvedere, a lookout point.

The “Luisium” was designed as a residential building. Nevertheless, on the ground floor there is a magnificent dining room with ceiling paintings depicting allegorical scenes. Embodiments of innocence, gentleness, honor, fidelity or humility symbolized feminine virtues. The murals show the art forms of painting, poetry, reading and music in female figures and thus referred to the interests of the highly educated princess.

The private rooms with a mirror cabinet as a cloakroom, with bedroom and library were located upstairs. These rooms are largely preserved with original furnishings. The mezzanine served as an apartment for guests and servants.

Around the building extends over a size of 14 hectares an English landscape garden, which is divided in two by a main avenue. It contains numerous architectures in classicist and neo-Gothic style, which make the “Luisium” a small version of the Wörlitz complexes. While strolling in the park, you will come across gatehouses and fountains, an orangery and a grotto, and finally a garden pavilion, the so-called “snake house”. It was named after a dragon-shaped gargoyle on the west side. Visual axes direct the eye, among other things, to the unusual

Church of St. Bartholomäi in Waldersee with its obelisk-shaped tower. Not far from the garden area, a neo-Gothic stud farm was built between 1779 and 1781, which is picturesquely embedded in the surrounding avenues, meadows and floodplains. To this day, the horses of the riding stable graze here.

After heavy destruction during the flood of 2002, which only spared the country house located on a hill, the “Luisium” was restored in an exemplary manner.

Continue reading
"... und sonntags ins Luisium"

Orangery in Luisium Park

on sundays 28.05., 11.06., 25.06., 27.08. und 10.09.2023, 10:30 Uhr

This event is free.

Informationen unter:

Opening hours Schlosspark

The park is open all year round and is freely accessible.

8,50 € (only by appointment, for groups of 10 people or more)

Guided tours outside opening hours are possible by appointment at special conditions.

Castle opening hours

19 March to 30 April
Sat, Sun, holidays 10:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.

1 May to 30 September
Tue–Sun, holidays 10:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.

1 October to 31 October
Sat, Sun, holidays 10:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.

The last tour starts one hour before closing.

Guided tours outside opening hours are possible by appointment at special conditions.

Adults: 9,00 €
reduced: 7,00 €


  • for groups of 15 people or more
  • Students up to 25 years, trainees, unemployed, severely disabled (accompanying person free), holders of volunteer cards of the city of Dessau-Roßlau
  • Children up to 16 years accompanied by an adult free (except gondolas, ferries, holiday program and children’s birthday parties)
  • Guided tour for student groups 2,00 € p. P. (max. 3 accompanying persons)

Castle and castle park: 14,00 € guided tour only by appointment (for groups of 10 people or more)

3-castle card: 19,00 €, You can choose from the castles in Wörlitz, Oranienbaum, Mosigkau and the Luisium. (valid for a whole season)

Luisium Castle
D-06844 Dessau-Roßlau / OT Waldersee
Phone +49 (0) 3 40.21 83 70